When we were little kids, our parents taught us the same Magic Words that their parent's taught them. The tradition of teaching Magic Words is truly an ancient one.
Please. Thank you.
These are the words that our parents forced us to use in order to receive whatever it was that we "needed" at the time - a piece of candy, the opportunity to be speed demons on our bikes, the permission to go hang with a friend or even just to watch a little extra TV or play a video game. In fact, even when we simply wanted an extra scoop of mashed potatoes at dinner, our parents would quip in a tone saturated with sarcasm, power and hilarity..."What are the Magic Words?" Learning those simple words was a true matter of survival... but they were also used to teach us about respect, manners and a little bit of humility too.
So, why is it that once people become adults they always fail to use Magic Words?
On my way to work, I pass by a police offer who stands at a particular corner of the street each morning. He is a nice old man who waves at all the "regulars" and offers a friendly smile to anyone who will accept it. Most mornings I see him reach for the "Walk Button" for someone who is rushing to cross the street before they miss their bus. If the police officer didn't push the button these people would miss their bus. I have never heard anyone tell the police officer Thank You.
Riding the bus every day gives me the opportunity to observe many types of people: business men and women, bicyclists fit and unfit, students young and old, hippies, yuppies, bluetooth wannabes... you name it. The disappointing thing is, I have never once heard any of these people acknowledge the bus driver. I have never heard anyone say Thank You.
And most days as I am arriving or leaving my building, a considerate person will hold the elevator door open so someone else doesn't have to wait for the next one available. However, I have never heard a Thank You.
Magic Words used to be a matter of survival in our childhood years. Now, they have become extinct in the vocabularies of the "wiser" generation. Please and Thank You are no longer words of survival. Instead, power, domination, individualism and superiority have been imbedded into the minds of the "cut throat" and the "simple passerby" alike. Unfortunately, respect, manners and humility have lost their splendor and significance due to the cost of "adult survival." In a world that believes that Nice Guys finish last, Magic Words have become obsolete. Useless. Unnecessary.
Where have we gone wrong?
In my own feeble attempt at becoming an adult, I have discovered that some childhood past-times must never decay... must never be put behind us as we take bigger, wider steps into independence and adulthood. Please and Thank You are still Magic Words to me. They are still words that communicate respect and humility... two characteristics that are valuable beyond all measure.
And since no one else will say this... I'll say Thank You police officer. Thank You bus driver. Thank You elevator door holder.
I will also say this... Please don't forget your Magic Words. There's someone out there who still appreciates them.
No comments:
Post a Comment