Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Seattle Pick-up Lines

Today I experienced a first...

I was walking down 2nd avenue in Seattle (on my way to emerald city smoothie) when a normal looking guy, walking in the opposite direction, stopped...turned around...and began walking with me. But his comment surprised me the most...

"Sweetheart, if I were straight, I would ask you to marry me."

Wow. Is that supposed to be a compliment? Did I really almost cause a gay man to turn straight (sarcasm)? I don't get it. I just kept walking. He eventually turned around again and that was that. 

Maybe this volatile and out-of-place comment was supposed to be a pick up line... hmm... regardless, ever since I began working in the city, I have come to hear many Seattle pick-up lines by crazy and somewhat sane men alike.

Here are some of them:
  • You are beautiful beautiful beautiful! 
  • I love those clothes you are wearing. How much money would I have to give you to take off your clothes for me? (I still can't believe this one actually happened! we had almost a 3 minute conversation about it. the guy wouldn't leave me alone! do i really look like i want to be solicited by men? come on!)
  • Sugar, do you have a manfriend?
  • Hey baby girl
  • Please marry me
  • Hey babe, what's your number?
  • Your hair is beautiful. 
  • These are my two boys (shows me pictures)... but now I'm divorced. Want to grab some lunch? From a Seattle, professional
Wow. Maybe if they weren't all so stupid I would give them a chance...well, no...that's actually not true. These lines come from men who are either homeless, divorced, or old enough to be my dad or grandpa... or a combination of all three. 

Talk about backhanded compliments.


No comments: