Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Little Girl" Gone

You know, there are certain life experiences that truly set us apart from our childish tendencies and lead us into adulthood: Graduating high school, graduating college, embarking on a first "real" job in the world of business, moving out on your own, and... traveling on business trips.

There's something about business trips that communicate "old" or at least "experienced" in the world of business... something I definitely do not feel. And so, it is somewhat an anomaly to me that I am sitting in an office in Mt. Shasta, California on... yes you guessed right... a business trip. What is even more astonishing is the fact that not only am I on a business trip... but that I was put in charge of presenting a twenty minute training session to people significantly more "experienced" than I am.

At only a mere 23 years of age, I feel much more like an adolescent in the realm of business than an "expert" with the knowledge to present training sessions. I have truly embarked on a path of adulthood. Yet, I still feel young... a little inadequate... and a lot less experienced than those I work with and those I am supposedly "training."

I guess that's just how life is. It throws us into opportunities to grow and challenge ourselves with obstacles and experiences in order to learn.

I LOVE presenting. In fact, I have discovered that I thrive off of the opportunity to get in front of a group of people (let it be 5 or 35 people) and present valuable information... any information... to help others grow, learn and advance in their training... all the while feeling like I am the one learning more than what I am teaching.

Anyway, I guess I'm just loving the fact that I'm in Mt. Shasta on a business trip and having the opportunity to grow, learn and challenge myself in new areas. This is what becoming an adult is all about... taking the opportunities that present themselves and using them to stretch ourselves as much as possible so that we may continually strive toward becoming who we were made to be.

I guess I'm growing up... its just a little strange.

No comments: