Monday, August 11, 2008

Polar Bears and Publishing

I am not the type of person who has the desire to climb Mt. Everest... swim across Lake Washington... run a marathon... or do battle with self discipline.

However, I do have two goals... two dreams... that I hope to accomplish before I leave this world behind.

1. See polar bears in their natural habitat.

Now please don't make fun of me here because I'm serious. I desperately want to see polar bears in real life some day... not the "zoo" real life (been there, done that) but the "arctic" real life. I so desire to make a trek up to Manitoba, Canada or the Norwegian Archipelagos and watch polar bears run on the open ice, catch a seal for their dinner, play with their cubs in the snow, interact with one another in the only way polar bears know how... ferociously. The day I get to see polar bears my life will have reached its peak. There's nothing greater that I want to see than a polar bear... or even multiple polar bears... in real life. Sigh.

2. Be published.

Some day I want to publish a story... a narration... a tragedy... anything. I just want to be published. Maybe I'll write a fiction novel about the dichotomy between good and evil. Or maybe I'll publish a short story about something I've personally experienced (God knows that the most outrageous things happen to me... I really could write about some of them). But the main thing is... I just want to be published. Even if it means Reader's Digest style. I'm not necessarily shooting for the stars here. I don't expect to be a world class writer some day. I simply want to make a mark on the world by providing something of substance that elicits the opportunity to be published. Sigh.

I don't know if I will ever reach these two goals... these two dreams in my life. But I know I'm going to try hard. Maybe some day I'll get to look back on this silly blog that I really do love (again, don't make fun of me here... let me have my fun...) and be able to say... I did it... that my dreams became reality. Sigh.

And so I will continue to try and save money so that I can afford to go visit my polar bears... and I will attempt to write something someday that is good enough to maybe publish... maybe. But I know I'm going to try hard. :)





No comments: