Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Possum Surprise

So, I am in Georgia.

Today when I woke up and walked out of the hotel I am staying at, there about 2 feet to the side of me was a full grown possum sitting on the porch! At first I thought it was a cat... then one of my coworkers asked if it was a big rat. Finally we realized, while still starring into the animals beady eyes that this was indeed a possum... sitting on the porch of our bed and breakfast... starring us down!

We didn't know what to do! Aren't possums supposed to be mean? I swear I remember listening to possum horror stories and the viscious temperment they can have... right? So... we continued to stare it down... only two feet away from me. We were all at a stand still. It was as if the red coat was waiting for us blue coats to get scared and not fight for our chance to walk down the stairs of the porch to our car. Eventually, the possum must have realized we weren't going anywhere. He slowly turned around after giving us one more piercing look and slipped under the deck.

It was crazy!

The folk here in Statesboro just laughed at us as we told our fighting story with this possum. They apparently often interact with such critters. We, over in Seattle however, don't.

What a day!

Hopefully tomorrow morning I won't encounter another possum. It's just to weird for me.

No comments: