Why do we (or mostly me) desire to do sinful things? What causes temptation? And why is it that sin often times is simply SO appealing despite the fact that we know its true destructive nature?
I just don't get it.
There's got to be a bigger reason as to why sin is SOO appealing. I mean, one could argue that satan is the instigator in creating appealing sin (there's definitely truth to that). But I really think there has to be more than that - something bigger that seals all the pieces together.
Could it have to do with sacrifice?
Now I don't know the answer. I'm just trying to learn.
It's true the Bible often speaks of the sacrifices Jesus made for each one of us... but it also speaks about the sacrifices each of us will have to make in order to be TRUE followers of Jesus and disciples in training. Could that be why sin HAS to be SO appealing? Why we sometimes CRAVE to sin against our savior and our Lord? Is it all part of the sacrifice that we have to choose to make in order to show Jesus how much we love Him by being obedient - even when the core of our beings just don't want to do what is right?
Because I don't know about you... but I'll be honest. I sometimes CRAVE to do sinful things. And maybe those "sinful" things aren't considered wrong in the eyes of this world... but they are in Jesus' eyes... and so... they must be in mine as well. And sometimes because I seriously do crave things that I know are not of God, I do them anyway. I don't sacrifice my own wants. I give in to my selfishness because most of the time in those moments, I want to be selfish.
I make thought out decisions against truth instead of essentially sacrificing myself to my Lord.
I can't decide if this sounds crazy. I feel like I do sound a little crazy and might be straying far off the beaten path. And maybe I am. But I just feel like there has to be more to temptation and sin. There has to be more to why we DESIRE sin.
So maybe sacrifice is a part of it... I don't know. I'm just trying to learn.
1 comment:
I think you make a great point, Dawn. I haven't thought of sin that way. You just may be on to something :) ...I appreciate your honesty. Keep searching and asking questions!
Post a Comment