And, as any core belief should, this distinction of the human race has impacted how I interact with those around me. Perhaps I'm overly trusting. Perhaps I don't feel uneasy when I should. Perhaps I talk to the homeless and carry on conversations with random strangers too much... but at least this leads to an outflow of love.
Unfortunately, today I've come to realize that some people are just not good. And this makes my heart sad and kind of challenges everything. So, why? Well, here's the story:
This morning I hopped on the 358 at 6:40am just like any other day. As we got closer to Seattle I decided that I'd go to Starbucks and try their steamed vanilla milk [because I can't drink caffeine right now... and btw, it wasn't very good which makes this story all the more maddening because it could have been avoided]. Anyway, the Starbucks is one bus stop further than I usually go, on 3rd and Pike. It's also right near the McDonalds and Walgreens, which for some reason attract some pretty interesting people. Well, the bus stopped and literally the minute after I stepped off the bus there was a man by my side. It caught me by surprise, but it didn't initially scare me. I mean, this happens all the time.
But then he wouldn't go away.
And then I looked at him... and the vibe was just wrong. I don't really know how else to explain it. He started veering into me a little and I tried to get out of his way with little luck. You would think that when I crossed the street he would leave me alone. Or that when I opened the door and walked inside Starbucks that he would leave me alone. Well, he didn't. In fact he tried to pay for my drink with the cash he did not have in his wallet. When the barista mentioned something to him, he got irritated because they interrupted him while he was trying to get my number. Gross.
Well finally he and his friend that followed him in, slinked out. And the baristas behind the counter and I kinda laughed at the whole situation. Because what can you do other than laugh? Maybe cry. Because it was scary. More intimidating than the actions of this man was the vibe that I got when I looked into his eyes.
Well, when I got my drink and looked outside, they were standing there waiting for me to come out. We made eye contact. What creepers. Luckily I had a book and sat down at a table and pretended to read. Unfortunately that only provoked them to walk beside me on the other side of the glass and ask me to come outside again. I just shook my head no, tried to ignore the men and "read." Eventually they disappeared, but I could just feel their eyes waiting for me across the street to come out. Honestly? It really did scare me and I don't scare easily when it comes to strangers. Luckily I have the greatest boyfriend ever and he talked with me while I sat at Starbucks for a while and then also when I ended up venturing outside and walked the four blocks as quickly as I could to the safety of my office.
All of this to say, it just sucks that there are people out there that just want to antagonize. Where's the love? I know that sounds cheesy, but seriously? It makes me mad to think that someone would do that just for fun. I mean, honestly. Its pretty obvious that I'm not going to give this man my number. So why the hell did he try? Come on.
Well I decided to venture out of my office during lunch today and you know what? It was hard! It was difficult not to worry that some of the people I walked past wouldn't do the same thing as earlier. It was hard to not wonder if they were going to be bad people too. And instead of being overly carefree, I feel like I'm now going to be overly weary...
But, I really do believe that people are good. And I want to believe that the man I met this morning has at least a little good in him too. I can't let one bad experience hinder future interactions. Vulnerability leads to dependence on Jesus, and on Him I will depend. I just need to remember that the Lord goes before me and is with me. There's no need to be afraid. There's no need to feel discouraged.
Ok, here we go.
1 comment:
Bummer Dawn. Sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident; those things are always unnerving! P.S. Sorry for the vanilla steamer suggestion. =)
Post a Comment