Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whatcha Gonna Do When they Come for You?

If you don't know - which you should - Redmond is notorious for their cops. And not just any cops - cops that are always on a power trip. In my experience, they are always mean, rude, disrespectful and they always give out tickets. 

This is why I'm always afraid to get pulled over in Redmond - because it never seems to fare well. At least that's what I believed until this week when I had the joy to experience two Redmond cops.

Say What?

Last Thursday I was driving in Redmond and was purposefully keeping tabs on my speed. Cops always happen to be in this area and I really did not want to get a ticket. So I purposefully pulled in the reigns on my lead foot, making sure the speedometer never went over the 30mph limit. Unbeknown to me, a cop was driving directly behind me. I would never have even known he was there expect for the fact that he turned his flashing lights and sirens. Well, crap. What did I do now? I was going the speed limit, so what else could I have done wrong? I pull over, find my license and frantically search for my current registration. I can't find it. The cop walks up to my window. I roll it down, and he asks in a cruel tone...

"Where are your license plates?"

Huh? My license plates? Did they fall off? I don't know, so I ask him what he means and again all he says is, "Where are your license plates?"

Well gosh! I don't know! They are on my car!

In the angst of the moment I blurt out that my license plates are at my parents house. I know - strange that I said that, but it was the first thing that came to my mind. I mean, I have NO idea what he's talking about.

He just stares at me, asks me for my license (not my registration!) and walks back to his patrol car. I patiently wait wondering if maybe my license plates really did fall off. Hmm... well, he comes back and I'm think, "well crap, he is a Redmond cop, he is totally going to give me a ticket." Instead he hands me back my license and tells me...

"Make sure you get your license plates," and he simply walks away. What the heck?!

Side note: I eventually did call my parents and apparently I did have new license plates to put on my car. Who knew that you had to get new license plates?? Weird.

Lead Foot Trouble

Last night I was on my way to meet some people for happy hour at 9:30pm in Kirkland. One of my friends was having a bad day and the least I could was spend some good time with her at the Wilde Rover.

I had just had a great Bible study and was feeling really good. Oftentimes, when I'm happy and listening to good music I speed. I don't do it on purpose! It just happens - like its an outward expression of my inner joy. Haha. Anyway, I was leaving Bellevue and entering Redmond and out of the corner of my eye I see a cop. I look down at my speedometer and... OH CRAP... I'm going like 15mph OVER the speed limit! 

Here's some advice for all of you out there. If you see a cop while you're speeding don't immediately brake because then they will know that you actually knew you were speeding. 

So, when I saw the cop I didn't immediately brake. I just took my foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down on its own. Then I tapped the brakes a little so that I was only going about 5mph over the speed limit. Then I watched in my mirror for the cop that I was sure would come up behind me.

And he did. I saw him pull out of his hiding spot, position himself behind me and turn on his lights.

CRAP! Two times in less than a week... and this time I truly deserve a ticket. 

Well, I again grab my license, find my current registration and roll down my window. The cop walks up and asks,

"Did you know that you were going 14mph over the speed limit?"

Okay. So this is the moment of truth. Do I say yes or do I say no? Which one is better? This time I told him that I didn't know. 

He took my license and registration and went back to his car. Well crap. There's just no way that I'm going to get out of this ticket - 14mph over the speed limit just can't be ignored. 

He comes back to my window and hands me my license and registration back and says,

"Dawn, just try and slow down a bit, OK? Have a great night."

WHAT?? He's NOT giving me a ticket for going 14MPH OVER the speed limit??!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

----

All of this to say, maybe Redmond cops aren't so bad after all. I mean, who can say that they've been pulled over by a Redmond cop twice in less than one week and didn't get a ticket either time... even when they especially deserved one?

Also, I'm thinking that maybe I should tame my lead foot a little. Otherwise it may take a ticket for me to learn..





No comments: