Thursday, May 28, 2009

Unexpectedly Hit

So, I never actually thought this would happen... but some guy just hit me with his arm.

Ok, let me back track a little...

I ate lunch today outside at the park near Pike Place. It was a great lunch too - perfect sandwich, perfect weather, perfect music, perfect book.

But then lunch ended and I had to go back to work... so I did. I got up and started walking up the big hill near my work place. After I crossed the first street I came upon three men standing and waiting for the same cross walk go-ahead-light that I was. Despite the fact that I was listening to my iPod, I could tell that one of the men was mad at another. 

Both men seemed a little off... but I walk next to many people in Seattle who are off their rocker and its never been a problem. So, I didn't think anything of it. I never want to be that girl who avoids seemingly scary people, because most of them are not scary and most of them notice it when others do so... and that's not fair. So, that's why I never purposefully go down to another street corner or move to the other side of the street... just because someone might be a little off doesn't mean that we shouldn't treat them like people and give them a chance. Anyway, that's why I didn't leave the corner... and it was the closest cross walk to my office too. 

Eventually, the walk light turned on and we all proceeded to cross the street when one of the men started yelling at the other man - calling him pretty harsh names - and getting physically upset. I guess I must have been in his way - even though I was walking a little behind him - because he abruptly saw me and hit me in my side. It wasn't a punch... it was more like a side-swipe of his arm to my side. And then he yelled at me to get out of his way and turned around and continued walking after the man yelling at him.

Gosh. It didn't hurt at all, I won't even have a bruise or anything. And it's really not a huge deal... it just surprised me more than anything. And now I'm sitting in my office and my adrenaline is just going strong. 

Crazy how things like that can happen. 


No comments: