Lately, I've just been processing that question... what is love? Like true love. Not friendship love, not puppy love, not cheeze-it and diet coke love [although possibly close]. What is real, deep, I-want-to-be-married-to-you-forever love? And what makes it different?
Just for the record, I'm probably not the best person to be discussing love. Have I ever been in love? Hmmm, yep, probably... but I'm not married, don't love another right now and don't know when or if I ever will.
But its still an important question. And I find myself thinking about it a lot lately. You see, many of my friends either have, or are going to get married this summer, and I wonder what makes their love different... what makes them jump into the adventure called marriage. I mean, its kind of scary. Don't you think? FOR-E-VER. Whew! That's a looooooong time. But they go for it! Jumping in with both feet... ready for anything.
Because of love.
So, why?
To be honest, I'm not sure. I don't have that understanding. But I do observe it. The beginning of simple [or not so simple] attraction, the manifestation of deeper and deeper feelings, and eventually the transformation of a decision. THE decision...
...to love another so gloriously and fiercely in their complete humanness. Selflessly.
Whew! That's kind of a big deal. To fiercely love someone in their weakness and vulnerability. What? Really? It's totally counter-intuitive and must take immeasurable amounts of selflessness and intentionality... no wonder people say marriage refines the heart and character of those who decide to partake in the adventure. Because love is difficult. It has to be.
But, love IS real. And it's fierce. It doesn't just sit on the way-side. It takes action. Is an epic. Heroic. Majestic. Surpassing the usual. Impressive in quality. Important to history. A presence. An enabler. A protector. An encouragement. A catalyst.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me.
It requires risk. But in the end it has to be worth it. It is worth it. And that's why people - my beautiful friends included - jump in and go for it. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to go for it too. Or maybe that's the difference... love must build bravery too.
--------
And just for remembrance purposes... sooooo ridiculous ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment