Monday, December 8, 2008

A Refusal to Demise

There are times when the earth shifts and allows us to glimpse the groans and pain in this world through different perspective. It is in these monumental but subtle moments that we as passersby either "see" or remain "blind" to truth. And often times, these moments leave us with a question we must wrestle with and "deal" with in our own hearts and minds. These moments either unveil an introspective prompting that moves us to act on truth and grace OR these moments mark our own lack of responsiveness and action to the needs and pain in this world. What we do with these glimpses into time and reality reflect who we are and reveal if we are being who God has called each of us to uniquely be. 

---

Today I was given a gift. I was allowed into a reality different than my own for a short moment in time. And I don't know what to do with it. I refuse to let it pass by without a moments thought as so many people would do. I want it to effect me. I want it to effect my actions and how I live my own life.

On my way to work, I passed by an older couple. The woman was dressed in drab clothing and supported herself on a walker. She seemed to hide behind her glasses as she hunched over, taking one small step after another. Her face marked pain and suffering and it made my heart ache with unknowing sympathy. Bitterness and resolution seemed to pour from her soul and displayed emptiness as her reality.

The man, on the other hand, though dressed in mismatched garments, had a smile on his face. He wore goggles like those you would wear during high school science class. He cuddled a teddy bear under his left arm as he waved his walking stick to the left and right - for he was blind. Yet there was something different about him. Some may choose to believe that perhaps he may have "lost his marbles" - or his sanity. But I felt something different. Peace and resilience seemed to emanate through his suffering and circumstance... And there was that smile. There was something different in that smile. It was a knowing smile... and it made me want to know the truth behind it. 

Though the man was blind, it was apparent that he saw more to life than the woman who had eyes to see. In many ways, the man was shut off to the world and restricted by his inability to experience color, shapes and movement. Yet, it was obvious that he had a joy and peace that the woman did not know. A knowing of something bigger than himself... perhaps of a grace and a love given selflessly and purposefully for all mankind.

---

I refuse to be the woman plagued by her circumstances and kept in a bondage of bitterness and self-pity. Instead, I will be all that God has created me to be... with newfound freedom in Christ and a knowing smile in hope that I may reflect the true nature of our perfect and wonderful Lord for all to see.

What will you choose to be?



No comments: