Thursday, June 19, 2008

Brimstone and Fire Sidewalk Preachers

Brimstone and Fire Sidewalk Preachers... crazy or normal??

Here's the story...

During lunch today, I was in dire need of a tall non-fat vanilla latte from Starbucks. So, I left work and made the trek to the Starbucks by Westlake Center. When I got there, I encountered an older man dressed in a black suit and tie with a white poster board (like one you would use in a high school presentation). 

Seattle is full of crazies (like the one time I passed by a fist fight and didn't know if I should call the police or not...I didn't...I will next time...) so I didn't think much about it. The crowd around him was diverse as only Seattle can provide: old men with white hair, the vagabond passerby, a young mom with twin babies in a stroller...you get the idea.

With coffee on my mind, I was about to step into Starbucks when I heard the man with the poster board exclaiming in Charismatic Exclamation that Seattlites need to repent and fall at the feet of Jesus. While this may be true...it seemed a little extreme.

I mean, will anyone actually listen to this guy and be impacted by him? Won't he simply make people angry and defensive as they walk by, hearing his crazy outcries for reform? He made me a little angry and annoyed and I even agree with some of what he was saying. I don't know. Although I will say it is not fair for me to put limitations on how God decides to use others and speak to His people. Still...I wonder... 

I just don't know about Brimstone and Fire Sidewalk Preachers...

Maybe I should try it some time. Anyone want to join me?

No comments: