Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Could I? Why not? Maybe I will.

This summer has been an amazing adventure for me. Aside from all the training hikes I've embarked on, I've climbed Mount Saint Helen's, Mount Baker and hiked up to the base camp on Mount Rainier (Camp Muir). It's been a pretty amazing experience for me... and I've found that I love climbing mountains. I love being outside, stretching myself beyond what I think I can do, and reach a goal that not many people get a chance to do. The views are spectacular and the feeling of accomplishment cannot be replicated... not to mention that crampons are by far the most amazing thing in the world! 

That's why it was so cool to hear a co-worker - who is a legitimate mountain climber himself - tell me that if I wanted, I could seriously become a great mountain climber. Wow. Maybe it doesn't sound like a big deal to you... but it is. You see, when I'm on a mountain, I feel like a little girl who doesn't belong. I'm not tall with the long legs to carry me far. I don't have super big muscles to haul myself and a huge pack up there. I just simply want to be there and so I pretty much just tell myself to go. And so I do. Therefore, to hear someone have faith in the idea that I could be a mountain climber is not only humbling... but inspiring. 

And so, I think to myself, why not? And so, maybe I will. Maybe someday I'll be climbing all over the world. Maybe even guiding... who knows. Because let's be honest, this summer has been quite the adventure. And I don't want these views to end:

MOUNT SAINT HELEN'S - 8,363 ft elevation





MOUNT BAKER - 10,778 ft elevation







CAMP MUIR - 10, 112 ft elevation






And what's next you ask? Well, I'm already planning on climbing Mt. Adams and possibly Mt. Shasta next summer, along with St. Helen's and Muir again. We shall see where I go from here. It's pretty exciting!

No comments: