Friday, August 21, 2009

I'm not even a mountaineer... what am I doing?

As one of my friends put it yesterday, "What? St. Helen's wasn't enough for you?"

Well, I guess not because this weekend I will be standing on the summit of Mt. Baker at 10,781 ft (the 4th highest summit in Washington)... that is... if I make it.

Yep, friends its true. I'm climbing Mt. Baker this weekend. And its going to be pretty interesting. Baker is in a league of its own... the climb requires crampons, ice axes, roping in with harnesses,and crossing crevasses on the Easton Glacier of Mt. Baker. 

By definition, this will be the hardest thing I will ever do in my life [that is, until I climb Rainier... but that won't be this year]. But that's the beauty of it. 

A while back, a friend asked me why I like hiking/climbing so much. And here's the reason: because it is a challenge. You have to work hard and stretch yourself beyond what you think you can handle in order to earn the reward of seeing and experiencing an unknown beauty that most will never get to see. It's special because its rare. And it means more, because it takes work. But the reward is always worth it. You're never left disappointed. And you learn the lesson that perseverance and effort give way to great joy and peace... the type that can only be experienced through trial and redemption.

And so I find myself yet again at the base of a challenge, ready to persevere to the top, to once again see beauty defined.

And when I feel like quitting, when snow bridges and crevasses scare the heck out of me, I will keep taking one more step toward the goal. If weather doesn't turn us around, I will make it to the top. 

Joyfully.
Intentionally pursued.
With arms wide open
And heartfelt gratitude.
This is for Him.

No comments: