Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Free Listening

One of my most favorite reasons why I love working a block from Pike Place is because of the little park at the end of the strip. It simply provides the perfect resting and lunch-eating spot during the summer months. Bundled with one of the best views of puget sound and the cascades (ferry boats included), it also comes prepackaged with Seattleites of all shapes, sizes and yes... skills. And for the professional-people-watcher that I am, this makes me very happy.

Today, I happened to be walking back to work after a good break, when I passed an average-aged man holding a white sign with black lettering. It didn't surprise me to see this man with his sign. Many homeless people hang out at this park in hopes of catching some loose change or a stranger's compassion. What surprised me was what I read on the sign:

Free Listening

That was it... Kind of profound. Kind of strange... Free Listening

It was odd too because this man wasn't even that approachable looking. He wasn't someone I would point out and say, "Now that man right there looks like a good listener!" In fact, I had the complete opposite response. None the less, I can't help but wonder... Has this man help up this sign before? Has anyone ever gone up to him? What has he heard? Has he helped anyone work through problems or tough situations? Has he provided empathy where it wasn't freely given or felt before? Has he extended friendship and when it was needed most but couldn't be found?

... or was it simply a joke? Hmm...

And as I sit here in my office, I wonder... should I have inquired to see if  this man was in need of a free listener in his life? Is that his real reason for holding up the sign? What is his story? Does he have problems or unresolved situations? Is there someone in his life he can lean on for support and friendship? And the thing is, I don't know. 

Because I didn't ask.

It didn't even occur to me to do so until I sat back down in my chair five minutes after I saw him. And to do what? Go back to work...

I guess all of this to say, there are people out there right now who are simply in need of a free listener. Maybe its a friend of yours who needs you, or maybe its a stranger... or maybe its you.

Regardless, I hope that free listening will be experienced - both freely given and freely received - and sought after with intentional asking and purposeful discernment.

I walked past an opportunity today. You don't have to. 


No comments: